Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Peer Reviews

It is often from reading others' work that I find I can improve in areas I had not previously realized.  For this reason, my blog this week will focus on my evaluation of the blogs from two of my fellow classmates.  Purposely, I chose two blogs which focus on areas of public relations I was not particularly familiar with. 

First, I read Paige Weiner's blog: Paige's Blog, which focuses on Fashion PR.  I really liked how Paige brought in her personal opinions right from the first post.  She made clear why she chose the topic, what education she had gone through to get to this point and what her favored areas of this topic were.  She even brought up a famous public relations professional who sounded like a type of role model to Paige so I know this field is not a new one to her; rather it is one she has invested time in researching and following previous to this assignment.  Right away it was quite clear I would learn a lot from reading her posts.  The topics she commented on in her posts that followed the introduction focus on current happenings in the areas of fashion.  I also really like how after discussing this current topic, she ties the situation into what we have been talking about in our Public Relations Research class or how the situation is important in the general field of public relations.  She does this very well in her second post and third post in the ending paragraphs.  After this post, I will continue to follow her blog.  Each post had paragraphs full of important information for me to learn as an aspiring public relations professional and her blog may even persuade me to turn my focus to this exciting field of Fashion PR that Paige writes about. 

For the second evaluation, I chose Sacha Kaufer's blog: Sacha's Blog, which focuses on Non-Profit Relations.  Right away I could tell Sacha's blog was very different from Paige's because Sacha mostly remains very objective.  Rather than inserting a lot of personal opinion, she fills her blogs with many facts.  Her blogs, as a result, are thorough and very informative.  When she does include herself in the posts, it concerns a personal experience and strengthens what her blog is saying so much more.  I really liked this post, in which she supported her first two paragraphs with details about her internship at a local non-profit.  This shows she is invested in this area beyond the classroom, and that dedication definitely makes me want to read more from her experiences and thoughts. 

I think both of my classmates are doing a great job with their blogs.  Both areas they are researching sound fascinating and I really appeciate the opportunity to learn how our class topics can be applied to other areas of public relations.              

No comments:

Post a Comment